European Ministry of Defense awards $1.6 million order for DMD2050E Satellite Modems
Comtech EF Data has obtained an order from an unidentified European country’s Ministry of Defence (MoD) to supply its satellite modems solutions.
Under the $1.6 m contract, Comtech EF Data will provide DMD2050E satellite modems for deployment at MoD teleports in Europe and the Caribbean.
The equipment features of the modems are expected to help the customer modernize the existing network.
In addition to higher operating data rates, DMD2050E is designed to provide capabilities such as embedded encryption and information throughput adaptation (ITA).
The DMD1050TS is Comtech’s latest generation modem board set targeted to critical government and military applications.
The DMD1050TS L-Band Satellite Modem board is designed to comply with the widest possible range of U.S.
Government and commercial standards and is compatible with the largest number of satellite modems in the industry.
It is fully compliant with MIL-STD-188-165A, fully complies with STANAG 4486 Edition 3 (EBEM), as well as the IESS–315 commercial standards at data rates up to 37 Mbps. The DMD1050TS L-Band Satellite Modem board offers a complete modem with FIPS certified TRANSEC on a compact PCB daughter board.
The embedded TRANSEC capability is fully compatible with the TRANSEC capabilities in Comtech EF Data’s DMD2050E and SLM-5650A Satellite Modems. The DMD1050TS also inter-operates with the ViaSat MD1366 EBEM modem.
Comtech EF Data is a subsidiary of Comtech Telecommunications, a US satellite telecommunications company.
In a statement, Comtech said: “Advanced forward error correction and modulation capabilities are combined with DoubleTalk Carrier-in-Carrier bandwidth compression technology enabling optimum state-of – the-art efficiency under all conditions.” One of the key features of the Comtech modem is its ability to support Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM) which enables dynamic changes in us.
Popular applications of the modem include integrated satellite terminal communications and remote communications.
“We are honoured to continue the relationship, supplying equipment to support the upgrade of the MoD’s armed forces network.” The DMD2050E Satellite Modem offers compatibility with other satellite modems and provides forward error correction and a range of modulation types.
In a statement, Comtech said: “The advanced forward error correction and modulation capabilities are integrated with DoubleTalk Carrier-in-Carrier bandwidth compression technology allowing for maximum state-of-the-art performance under all conditions.” One of the key features of the Comtech’s modem is its ability to support Adaptive Coding and Modulation (ACM), which enables dynamic changes in user throughput.
Defence Insight Analysis
ACM enables modems to use the modulation and encoding combination to maximize bandwidth in a point-to-point connection.
According to the manufacturer, DMD2050E complies with a number of U.S. government and commercial requirements, including STANAG 4486 Version 3, as well as IESS-308, IESS-309, IESS-310 and IESS-315.
DMD1050TS L-Band Satellite Modem Board Features
- MIL-STD-188-165A compliant (Modem Type I, II, IV)
- STANAG 4486 Edition 3 (EBEM)
- Compact size 1.442” x 6.675” x 9.125” (mounting holes aligned with competing TDMA modem card)
- Conductively cooled design • TRANSEC Module, FIPS-140-2 Level 2 certified
- 950 to 2050 MHz L-Band TX/RX • Built in MIL-188-114A and Ethernet data interfaces
- BPSK, QPSK, OQPSK, 8PSK, 8-QAM, 16-QAM, 16APSK • 2.4 kbps to 37 Mbps, 1 bps steps • FEC – LDPC, TPC, 165B Turbo, Viterbi, Reed Solomon, & Trellis
- Ethernet Flow Control & Quality of Service (QoS)
- Information Throughput Adaption (ITA) • Optional 10 MHz high-stability reference
- Input connectors for pass-through BUC and LNB voltages • Excellent spurious performance
- Fully compliant with IESS-308/309/310/314/315
- Optional DVB to EN301-210 and EN300-421
- Standard features include: Reed-Solomon, Asynchronous Overhead and Automatic Uplink Power Control
- M&C options include SNMP, Web browser & RS-232 terminal ports • Wide input voltage range (18 – 36 VDC)