Nagorno-Karabakh ceasefire badly frayed over weekend
The humanitarian ceasefire, which went into force on Saturday 10 October, was agreed at talks in Moscow to allow ethnic Armenian forces in Nagorno-Karabakh and the Azeri army to swap casualties and prisoners.
The situation along the entire line of contact in Karabakh remains stably tense, the Azerbaijani army has an operational advantage along the entire length of the military front, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) of Azerbaijan reported on Monday.
Azerbaijan’s MoD aslo said that Armenian forces had tried repeatedly to attack its positions around the Aghdere-Aghdam and Fizuli-Jabrail regions, and were continuing to shell territories in the Goranboy, Terter and Aghdam regions insde Azerbaijan.
Three things you need to know about the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
The ceasefire had already been badly frayed on Sunday, when Azerbaijan said it launched airstrikes against an Armenian regiment. Azerbaijan also said its military positions had been shelled overnight.
Armenia’s foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan was due to hold talks in Moscow later on Monday with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.