On Wednesday June 24th, the North Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) announced the suspension of North Korea’s military plans.
This statement came one day after the same media outlet reported Kim Jong-un’s scheme to send anti-Seoul propaganda across the border.
Along with the report, it was announced that the North Korean military stationed in the border removed speakers that had been placed along the territory to broadcast anti-Seoul messaged. It has also been noticed that the KCNA eliminated a vast amount of media articles defaming South Korea.
Pyongyang’s official News Agency stated in the same article that the decision was made after Kim organized a video conference on Tuesday with the Workers’ party’s Central Military Commission. There was no specification as to why the decision was made.
Analysts have said that these actions came as a response to the unexpected nuclear meeting between representatives of South Korea and Trump’s administration, held a few days ago. The US government has shown themselves in full support of preventing any escalation in the Korean peninsula and voiced their stance in favour of South Korea.
The conflicts between both nations heightened in the past months due to several incidents where anti-propaganda leaflets from groups of the South were sent to the North. After various threats, the North Korean leader finally announced the cutting of all communication with Seoul.
Following the declaration, the government destroyed an empty Inter-Korean liaison office to symbolize the rupture of the relationship. Kim Jong-un and his administration persistently provoked the South Korean government through threats since the explosion up until today’s announcement of retaliation.
In response, the South Korean Ministry of Unification, the agency that handles the affairs with North Korea, questioned the real intentions behind all these acts as Yoh Sang-key, a spokesman for this commission, said that the South Korean government was “closely reviewing” the report. No further comments were provided.